Turkcell Super League – Week 7 recap (Saturday)

Turkcell Super League logo Fenerbahçe would travel down to Antalya, a city known more as a vacation hot spot than its soccer, to take on Antalyaspor. One of the big questions would be if Roberto Carlos would be on the roster or not. It was reported earlier in the week (or I had reported, via Turkish newspaper Milliyet) that he would be returning to Brazil within the next few weeks. He had expressed interest to return to Brazil, but the Fenerbahçe board basically said that Carlos was under contract until the end of the season and he wouldn’t be sold. My guess is that he will attempt to leave during the January transfer window. Carlos would be part of the bench for this match.

The match would show Fenerbahçe not being as impressive in winning as their rivals Galatasaray in the last six weeks, but getting the win nonetheless. The scoring would open in the 10th minute, as Colin Kazim-Richards would score off a flick from Alex de Souza. Alex would get a pass from Mehmet Topuz to set up his through flick. Kazim-Richards would get a yellow card in the 18th minute for arguing with the linesman over a call, giving him a one match suspension for yellow card accumulation. The 21st minute would see the Antalyaspor equalizer. Ali Zitouni would beat out Fenerbahçe defender Gökhan Gönül, and make a diving header into the net. The first half would end 1-1, but Fenerbahçe had many more chances than Antalyaspor. The second half would feature early aggressive play from Antalyaspor. In the first ten minutes of the second half, Antalyaspor looked like a team with a mission to win, but couldn’t convert chances. Antalyaspor goalkeeper Polat Keser looked like he was having a stellar day, as many Fenerbahçe shots were saved, or were off the posts. One of Keser’s moments came in the 78th minute. Dani Guiza of Fenerbahçe would make a run into the box from the right wing, flicked the ball to Alex, who flicked it back to Guiza, but the attempt from near point blank range was saved by Keser. The deadlocked would be broken in the 89th minute. On a counterattack, Alex would pass the ball behind the defense to Guiza (who was in the Fenerbahçe half of the field), Guiza would spring down the field with two others in tow. Guiza, seeing that Polat Keser came out to defend the attack, passed to Semih Şentürk, and Şentürk would put the ball into the goal for the lead and eventual win. It wasn’t pretty for Fenerbahçe, but they escaped and now have a seven game winning streak to start the season, the best start for the club since the 1964-65 season.

The Gaziantepspor – Ankaragücü match would end 3-1 to the visitors. Julio Cesar da Silva would open the scoring for Gaziantepspor in the 11th minute. Metin Akan would score in the 42nd minute to even the score for Ankaragücü, and the 1-1 scoreline would be the halftime score. Akan would score again in the 52nd minute to put Ankaragücü ahead for good. Emre Aygün would tack on an insurance goal in the 79th minute to make the score 3-1. Anakaragucu got some bad news the previous day as Darius Vassel will be out for at least two weeks with an injury to the back of his foot. The Ankaragücü head coach Hikmet Karaman was quoted as saying that his team couldn’t catch a break.

Speaking of teams that can’t catch a break, Sivasspor would suffer yet another loss. This time around it would be the heartbreak of losing a game in stoppage time. Istanbul Büyükşehir Belediyespor would gain a victory through Marcus Vinicius’s goal two minutes into stoppage time to send Sivasspor to yet another loss. Sivasspor’s point total at this point is only 1 point.

Bursaspor’s impressive home field play continues. The club, nicknamed the Crocodiles, would make it three out of four game won at home in emphatic fashion. Diyarbakirspor would fall to Bursapor with a scoreline of 4-0. Volkan Şen would open the scoring for Bursaspor in the 30th minute, and it would be a 1-0 scoreline heading into the halftime break. Bursaspor would then pour it on in the second half. Dimitar Ivankov would come out of his goal to score off a penalty in the 48th minute. Ivan Ergić would make it 3-0 to Bursaspor in the 63rd minute. The scoring would conclude as Ozan İpek would score in the 75th minute to conclude the rout. Bursaspor head coach Ertuğrul Sağlam had this to say about his side’s victory: “We found the goal we were looking for in the first half. The breaking point of the match was the penalty goal. Later on we became comfortable during the match, and found a way to win by four goals.” With the win, Bursaspor increased its point total this season to 13, leapfrogging Trabzonspor in the process.