Turkcell Super League – week 13 – Saturday action

After the international break, the Turkcell Super League was back in action with two Saturday games.  One featured Bursaspor looking to keep pace for a European spot.  The other featured the Istanbul derby between Beşiktaş and Fenerbahçe.  One looked to continue its fine league form over the last few weeks; the other was coming back from a long competitive layoff to consolidate its position at the top of the table.

Bursaspor looked to gain points in a tricky away fixture against Gaziantepspor.  A moment of silence was observed for former Gaziantepspor player Antonio de Nigris, who had passed away.  The first half saw mostly balanced action as both teams looked to gain the advantage.  In the 10th minute, Gaziantepspor had a chance when Oğulcan Adın left the ball for Julio Cesar de Souza.  De Souza’s near 25 meter shot would be saved by a diving fist punch by Bursaspor keeper Dimitar Ivankov.  The 29th minute saw Bursaspor’s Ivan Ergic head the ball barely over the goal after a pass from Ali Tandogan.  The 43rd minute saw Gaziantepspor have an attempt on net when Julio de Souza headed the ball on net, only to have it saved by Ivankov.  The second half would see a score and a red card.  In the 63rd minute, Oğulcan Adın saw his second yellow of the match for a handball, leaving Gaziantepspor with ten men the rest of the way.  The goal would come in the 80th minute.  Pablo Batalla’s free kick resulted in a save by the Gaziantepspor keeper, only to have the rebound scored by Giani Kirita to put Bursaspor up 1-0.  Gaziantepspor search for another chance, but Bursaspor would take the victory by the 1-0 scoreline.

The 323rd meeting between Beşiktaş and Fenerbahçe took place at the Inonu Stadium.  With Beşiktaş looking in fine league form, and Fenerbahçe coming off a long layoff, this looked to be the most interesting fixture in terms of the standings.  Beşiktaş dominated the offense for the first 15 minutes.  Yusuf Simsek came close to breaking the deadlock in that time frame, with a shot that just went wide left in the 8th minute.  Fenerbahçe had a chance with Gokhan Gonul in the 16th minute, but his shot went wide.  Both teams had chances that seemed to be wasted.  Right before halftime, Alex de Souza lined up to take a free kick.  His kick went off the crossbar, and an attempt from Colin Kazim-Richards ended up in the hands of Beşiktaş goalkeeper Rustu Recber.  The half ended after that.  The second half saw the game open up, as Beşiktaş had an immediate chance from the left flank in the first minute of the second half.  The scoring opened up in the 54th minute, as Michael Fink blasted a volley past Fenerbahçe goalkeeper Volkan Demirel to put Beşiktaş on the board 1-0.  Three minutes later, Bobo scored for Beşiktaş firing a shot past Demirel to double the lead for Beşiktaş, 2-0.  Fenerbahçe looked to be frustrated, or they had a hangover from the long layoff.  Colin Kazim-Richards would pick up a red card for dissent in the 75th minute.  On his Twitter page, he wrote that he suffered through rough tackles and wanted to keep quiet, but he wanted to win badly.  He apologized to his followers after the match for his actions.  This practically killed off any chance for a Fenerbahçe comeback.  In the 83rd minute, a clearly offside Ugur Inceman received a pass from the left wing, and put the ball in the back of the net to give the match to Beşiktaş 3-0.  With the win, Beşiktaş moved to third in the standings, four points off the lead.  The news would get worse for Fenerbahçe, even after this embarrassing loss.  Emre Belozoglu tore his left hamstring and has been ruled out for four weeks.

With Fenerbahçe’s loss, the door is open for Galatasaray to take the lead in the standings if they beat Manisaspor by two goals or more on Sunday.  Beşiktaş looked in fine form against Fenerbahçe, and Bursaspor gets a much needed win before their clash against Galatasaray next week.