Turkcell Super League – week 14 – Friday and Saturday action

Friday and Saturday action in the Turkcell Super League would see both of the two biggest clubs in action.  Galatasaray travelled to the confines of the Bursa Ataturk stadium to take on the rising Bursaspor on Friday.  On Saturday, Fenerbahçe would be playing lowly Kasımpaşa, but would have to play behind closed doors due to their fans’ actions against Galatasaray in the derby some weeks back.

Galatasaray would play their match against Bursaspor without Frank Rijkaard on the bench.  His wife had some complications with her pregnancy, so he went back to Holland to be with her.  Assistant coach Johan Neeskens took over coaching duties for this match.  It seemed that the match went Bursaspor’s way for most of the game.  In the 13th minute, Bursapsor’s Ivan Ergic fired a powerful shot that went off the crossbar and back onto the pitch.  In the 27th minute, Volkan Sen got around Galatasaray defender Hakan Balta, and fired a shot with his left foot, but the ball ended up in the side netting and out for a goal kick.  Galatasaray had a chance in the first half, but Abdul Kader Keita’s shot was saved by Dimitar Ivankov.  In the same minute, Turgay Bahadir of Bursaspor came in from the left wing and fired a shot off the post.  The halftime score ended in a 0-0 deadlock.  Bursaspor would finally get the goal they’d been looking for in the second half.  Volkan Sen fired a shot into the Galatasaray goal to put Bursaspor on the scoreboard 1-0.  Galatasaray coach Neeskens tried to shift the balance back to Galatasaray by bringing on Shabani Nonda, Elano, and Aydin Yilmaz.  However, Bursaspor had no trouble keeping their defenses up, with Tomas Zapotocny and Omer Erdogan shutting down Arda Turan, playing in the center forward position in this game.  Turan was played out of position and was completely ineffective.  Bursaspor earned a big win and would guarantee at least a top three position when the weekend was over.

Fenerbahçe had to play behind closed doors against Kasımpaşa this week.  As noted earlier, the fans actions during the derby against Galatasaray, with water bottles and such being thrown out on the pitch, led the Turkish Football Federation to order Fenerbahçe’s next home match behind closed doors.  Since their next home game after the derby would have been Ankaraspor, this game would have to be played behind closed doors.  Fenerbahçe would also have to make due without the services of Colin Kazim-Richards, who due to his action against Beşiktaş last week, was given a four match suspension.  The length of the suspension might also have had to deal with Kazim-Richards’ Twitter comments afterward, where he mentioned that Turkish referees couldn’t speak English, and wondered why Turkish referees weren’t officiating in European competition.  It seemed as if taking on a lowly team like Kasımpaşa would lift the spirits of the team after the embarrassing 3-0 loss to Beşiktaş, as it should be an easy victory.  That wouldn’t be the case.  In the very first minute, Cenk Isler of Kasımpaşa shot the ball into Fenerbahçe goalkeeper Volkan Demirel’s hands.  The ball slipped out of Demirel’s hands and Gokhan Gulec fired the shot home to give Kasımpaşa a shock 1-0 lead.  Fenerbahçe would tie the game in the 5th minute, as Mehmet Topuz passed a through ball to Dani Guiza, and the Spaniard tied it up for Fenerbahçe 1-1.  Kasımpaşa seemed to be the more dominant team, surprisingly.  In the 16th minute, Gokhan Gulec got around Demirel and had a wide open net, but the ball was badly struck and nothing came of it.  Gulec had another chance in the 35th minute, but Onder Turaci saved the ball off the goal line.  The halftime score ended up 1-1.  The beginning of the second half almost mirrored the start of the match itself.  Cenk Isler received a through ball from Ergun Teber, was behind the defense, and made Fenerbahçe pay for their defensive mistake to put Kasımpaşa up 2-1.  Sahin Aygunes would come in for Andre Moritz in the 81st minute, and immediately make an impact.  Even though replays showed he was in an offside position, Aygunes got behind the Fenerbahçe defense and scored Kasımpaşa’s third goal.  The final was a shocking 3-1 victory to Kasımpaşa, but Fenerbahçe played horribly in perhaps their worst performance of the season.